Kyle Petschek scored four times as John Jay overcame a two-goal second period deficit to rally for a 7-4 win over visiting Rye on Feb. 24 at the Brewster Ice Arena.

The game was a rematch of last year’s Section I/Division 2 championship game won 5-1 by Rye.

The Wolves tallied the game’s final five goals, including three by Petschek, to come away with their second straight. Petschek also added an assist for a five-point night.

The Wolves, however, followed with a tie (3-3 Feb. 26) and a loss (5-4 Feb. 28) to Horace Greeley, both games also played at BIA.

In the contest against Rye, the visiting Garnets appeared in control after Peter Angelastro’s power play goal with 9:28 remaining in the second period staked them to a 4-2 lead.

The Garnets “came ready to play,” Jay head coach Greg Janos said. “The first four goals were back and forth, leaving it knotted at 2-2 for a few minutes before Rye scored two more leaving Jay down 4-2.”

Jay’s Tyler Wishart opened the night’s scoring, assisted by Owen Scinicariello only one minute into the game. Angelastro answered for Rye just 52 seconds later.

It took Jay just 68 seconds to grab a 2-1 lead when Petschek netted his first of the game.

Brendon O’Byrne and Drew Della Salla would score for Rye later in the opening period to give the Garnets a 3-2 advantage. O’Byrne’s tally also came on the power play.

Petschek started the Jay comeback when he found the back of the net on the power play with 7:18 to go in the middle stanza. Just 55 seconds later, Petschek evened the match at 4-4.

“Freshman Colman Rice was given an opportunity late in the first and had a great performance,” Janos said. “His hard work and feistiness battling for the puck earned us a power play with Petschek that made it 4-3 and then he created the scoring opportunity later for Petschek to tie the game.”

Mike McKeon and Wishart assisted on the power play tally, while Wishart and Scott MacDonald had the helpers on the tying goal

“At the start of the third tied at 4-4, we had 1:11 left over on a remaining power play from the end of the second,” Janos said. “That's when I decided not to wait and go for the win right from the start of the third period and I added a fourth forward to the power play unit (Petschek).”

He continued, “We earned an offensive faceoff and set up Mike McKeon off of a shot from Wishart for the go-ahead goal which became the game winner. We added two more goals for a total of five unanswered goals.”

McKeon’s go-ahead tally came 46 seconds into the final period.

Wishart added his second of the evening with 6:57 to go, assisted by Petschek and Jacob Silva; then Petschek capped off the scoring with 2:55 remaining with assists going to McKeon and Anthony Protomastro.

“The third period was a very physical battle,” Janos said. “Rye went on the attack and we turned up the defensive efforts, getting pucks in deep and shutting down the breakout attempts. We had one penalty to kill off in the third and then stayed in shut down mode not allowing Rye to gain any momentum.”

The coach continued, “We had a shaky start and had to play in our defensive zone more than I had wanted to, but the boys responded to the challenge.”

Dylan Rogers made 26 saves in goal for Jay, while Anabelle Thomas turned aside 32 shots in the Rye cage.

“Dylan Rogers continued to hold his ground in between the pipes battling off numerous screened shots, Rye forwards crashing the net, and making contact with him,” Janos said.

Two nights later, the Wolves and Horace Greeley battled to a 3-3 tie at BIA.

Gabe Adams’ power play goal for Greeley with 3:37 remaining in the third period forged the tie. Neither team was able to solve the opposing goalie in the five-minute overtime.

“It was definitely a fun game to watch,” Janos said. “It was a good back and forth battle. We did many things well, but not consistently, and ultimately that cost us the win and left us knotted at 3-3 after OT.”

He added, “We talked after the game about our positives and negatives from the game and as a team we are all on the same page regarding what it will take to beat a good Horace Greeley team.”

Wishart had all three goals for the Wolves in this one. His first, just 1:21 into the game staked Jay to an early 1-0 lead.

Rice assisted on the tally.

Greeley, however, would get two goals before the end of the opening period.

Adams would get the Quakers even at 1-1 with a power play goal only 17 seconds after Wishart had given Jay the lead.

Then, with 4:02 to go in the first stanza, Jared Rothman’s goal gave Greeley a 2-1 advantage.

It took only 19 seconds of the middle period for Wishart to knot the game at 2-2, which is where the score stood at the start of the third frame.

Wishart’s third of the night, this one with 7:35 remaining in regulation time, gave the Wolves a 3-2 lead.

However, Adams’ second power play goal of the night would level the scoreboard.

In overtime, Greeley goalie Ben Madden would make five saves, while Rogers would stop all four shots he faced in the Jay cage.

“We had a few moments that could have gone our way but didn't,” Janos said. “(Protomastor) had a great shot from the top of the circle late in the second that rang off of the cross bar, that would have shifted the game. We had a goal disallowed mid-third period because of the net being knocked off of its respected area. It was a questionable call, but that is a part of hockey, and we have to move on.”

He continued, “Then we hit two more posts as we applied offensive pressure, with our top two lines going for the last five minutes and OT.”

Janos added, “It was not our best performance, but we still did many things right. I’m proud of the boys and the fight we put up.”

Doug Styles, Protomastro and Ethan Jackson each had an assist in the game for the Wolves. 

In the 5-4 loss to Greeley two nights later, the Quakers snapped a 3-3 third period tie with goals form Ben Cohen and Jared Rothman 3:10 apart that gave them a 5-3 lead with 9:44 to go.

Wishart’s third goal of the night with 7:09 to play cut the Jay deficit to one, but the Wolves were unable to net the equalizer.

Colman Rice opened the night’s scoring for Jay, assisted by Wishart, only 1:51 into the game.

Cohen’s first of his two on the night evened matters at 1-1 with 5:34 to play in the first period. Ilan Laurence then gave the Quakers a 2-1 advantage after one stanza with a goal with 3:07 remaining in the opening frame.

Jacob Rothman extended Greeley’s lead to 3-1 with a goal 2:33 into the middle period.

Wishart then netted successive goals to bring Jay even at 3-3. His first, with 10:59 to go in the stanza, was assisted by Kyle Petschek; the second, with 2:05 remaining, was assisted by Mike McKeon and Dougie Styles.

“Tonight’s game didn’t go our way,” Janos said. “It was back and forth again, leaving (us) down by two which we came back to tie. Greeley continued to force the puck deep and maintain heavy pressure and then capitalized on our mistakes and turnovers.”

He added, “The penalties we took didn’t help us out. Greeley also scored two more power play goals.” Jay took five penalties in the loss, while the Quakers were whistled for three.

“Our goalie (Dylan Rogers) continued to play well and tonight, he gave us every chance to win, making 37 saves, including killing off a five-minute major, which quickly turned into a two-man down situation,” Janos said.

Rice’s goal was the first of his varsity career.

Janos added, “Overall, we need to play smarter as individuals and better as a team overall.”  

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.