• Updated

Do you remember years back when a new record album would come out and you’d take in every detail of it? We’d stare at it repeatedly and hold it until the edges were worn while listening to it so intently. Each album had a feeling, a thread of intent. My daughter, Jess, was musing about the s…

• Updated

It was a perfect confluence of beer, burgers and good folks on a beautiful Friday afternoon. The impromptu barbecue outside The Kitchen Table arose from a gut feeling from the shop’s manager, McKenna Ryser, along with owner Robbie Everett to say “thank you” and “good-bye” to the workers at C…

• Updated

All the while, during whatever craziness surrounds us, nature is my grounding, go-to model and inspiration. Mother Nature is strong, accountable, keeps prodding forward, and always adapts. So often, we humans are quick to label things as “bad,” especially in the natural world, without respec…

• Updated

It feels like the month of May is my sweet spot. My whole bodily rhythm gets in sync with the circadian rhythm; the early morning daylight wakes me up through and through and I’m winding down as the sun sets. Coupling that with being outside in the garden and observing plants growing and nat…

• Updated

These days, sometimes it’s been a schizoid life for me. Everything is copacetic when I’m outside on a beautiful day, in the garden or driving somewhere in the morning sunshine with good music on after a great cup of tea. Then, I encounter the reality of masks or a hug-less rendezvous with a …

• Updated

I’m missing my favorite Pound Ridge event this year: the Memorial Day parade and ceremony in the cemetery. This year, though, I appreciate the flags mounted in the new streetlights along Westchester Avenue. As I pass by them, I offer a humble nod to those who made the ultimate sacrifice for …

• Updated

What’s the deal with all the beards that guys are growing these days? Is it because they are mostly home, so hardly anyone sees them? Or maybe it’s an extension of the sweatpants culture and men are just relaxing, taking a break from daily routines. Is it an opportunity to literally let thei…

• Updated

“We are the lucky ones.” That’s the mantra amongst my garden peeps these COVID days. We get to be outside in nature, in the soil, planting seeds, witnessing the miracle of nature. Finally, I understand the true meaning of “grounded.” It’s so far from the rest of the static that gets thrown a…

• Updated

“Anyone can do spring” I heard declared on a garden podcast recently. I’ve been planting, propagating and organizing my outdoor world with an easy-going sense of satisfaction during the first part of this growing season. Suddenly, after a couple warm days, nature is talking back. That initia…

• Updated

Is it time to wake up now? On a sunny, spring day, it’s darn easy to forget the weighty COVID-19 reality that surrounds us. At least, now, there’s some movement in the direction of normalcy, but how that reality is defined in our lifestyle and pocketbooks is yet to be defined.

• Updated

It’s amazing to experience something that everyone around the world is experiencing at the same time. COVID-19 has made us all stop in one way or another, forcing us to examine our lifestyle, relationships, schedules. Change will be part of the fabric of the rest of our lives, but have you h…

• Updated

We’re so lucky to have easy access to our backyards and local nature preserves. These days, more than ever, I seek out nature — even with just a glance out the window or by cracking the door to peer outside for one deep breath — to stay rooted in the season and within myself. Watching my lit…

• Updated

This crazy time is bringing us back to ourselves without our normal gotta-do’s and gotta-go’s. It’s certainly a lot easier to reach people, chat, and schedule meetings, though I really do miss the social contact. Many of us are spending more time in front of screens, including listening to t…

• Updated

I take for granted the unlimited access to nature in my “private,” a.k.a. “social distancing guaranteed” backyard. It’s something most of you reading this also enjoy. I’m in and out all day and, for the first time, I’m actually too early with some of my garden tasks instead of playing “catch…

• Updated

At least when it was snowy, cold and rainy recently, being home and inside seemed normal and justified, but as soon as the sun came out, we felt like getting outside. Usually, when I walk around our neighborhood, I see an occasional car or pedestrian. These days, there’s still an occasional …

• Updated

Last week I felt like I was in a live-action science fiction movie; this week it feels more like an extended snow day, eerily, in the spring. On the road, I get caught up in looking at other drivers — people are cautiously driving like the roads are icy, their expressions are a combination o…

• Updated

I feel like I’m living in a real-time science fiction movie with the coronavirus situation. Like you, I’m trying to figure out the best precautions to take along with an overall mindset for my day-to-day sanity. Being in nature with my hands in the dirt suddenly seems like the safest place t…

• Updated

The bird chirping was almost deafening in the covered walkway outside The Market last week. That’s how I knew that spring was almost here for sure; the birds were busy claiming their territory in the sides of the structure above and beginning to prepare their nests. Now that the crocuses are…