Skip to main content

Years ago, around this time, the former editor of The Record-Review would ask me about Pound Ridge by saying, “Hey, anything going on in Mayberry?” It was a reference to “The Andy Griffith Show,” a popular television series from the ‘60s where nothing of particular importance happened in the…

The Bedford Farmers Club met at our property recently to learn about native plant pioneer Sara Stein and see our vegetable garden. The group, headed up these days by Mary Farley, has been meeting for 150 years — well, not with the same members, but there are some relatives of the original m…

The size of the crowd at Food Truck Friday last week was a surprise after a lag in attendance this time last year. Some of my buddies from Katonah showed up, and they were shocked at the huge turnout and excitement at a mid-summer event in our “more rural” town. Another friend who recently b…

I’m not a very competitive person, but I do enjoy watching others compete, especially tennis players, and mostly during the Grand Slam tournaments. How players respond to good and bad moments is a great lesson, and it often determines the outcome of the match. Last weekend, in the finals of…

Last weekend, I watched our nieces and nephews heaving their bodies into the air onto floating rafts or spinning off of tubes into the lake as the motor boat pulling them careened around in a circle. There was no space for them to appreciate the physical freedom of their youth; they were jus…

• Updated

This is “whirlwind time” for a lot of households with graduations, celebrations, family gatherings and summer plans getting started. The recent whirlwind for Pound Ridge was the visit of the America in Bloom advisors last week, highlighting every organization, business and initiative in town…

“The best community on the planet,” is how I’ve heard Police Chief Dave Ryan describe Pound Ridge. “Dave,” not “Chief,” is what he told me he wanted to be called when he was at last week’s Food Truck Friday, glad to be dressed in a T-shirt and shorts. The weather was perfect, and it may have…

Holy moly, this week is chock full of action, from nature to nurture. Plants are bursting out, leading up to the summer solstice — the first day of summer on June 21 — when daylight begins to shorten (oh, no!) and plants get their signals to respond accordingly. Plus, there’s a lot of human …

• Updated

Why do we feel inspired by others? Is it something inherent in their character? Or is it more determined by something they do? Either separately or in combination, spirit and a get-it-done attitude are what we saw all around at Pound Ridge Proud Day. It was another day to be a proud Pound Ri…

At the Memorial Day parade, sitting on the sidelines with my daughter, Sarah, and her perfect service dog, Edison, we became fast friends with Maureen Errickson and her daughter, Lisa. Maureen’s husband, Ray Errickson, who passed away last year, was the superintendent of buildings in Pound R…

“Wet and warm” is a whole lot better than “wet and cold.”  That’s the only way I can understand how a bunch of parents and their kids enjoyed dancing in the intermittent rain at last week’s Food Truck Friday. Then again, everything is in the eyes of the beholder; it wasn’t inclement weather …

As spring has sprung, I’ve had to keep moving around the butter dish and bowl of fruit on our kitchen counter to get them away from direct sunlight as the sun has gotten higher in the sky and the angles of the sun’s rays have shifted. Have you noticed how the shadows have changed everywhere …

Spring has sprung and, all of a sudden, it’s the month of May. Suddenly the year is over (I’m still on a school schedule). It feels like there was a serious sprint through time, maybe because winter seemed to drag on this year. Actually, I’m OK with that, as it gave me an extended period of …

• Updated

Mother Earth showed her esteemed benevolence by providing good weather for Earth Day weekend, thank goodness. Lots of folks came out to find out more about living closer to the land at the events in Pound Ridge and nearby communities. Interest in the environment has certainly grown since the…

Growing veggies has been an evolving process for me that began when I was a kid, planting a few tomato plants in our backyard. Over the years, I’ve added to the variety of seedlings, but only began starting most of them from seed indoors a few years ago. Watching those seeds germinate and gr…

The fifth Repair Café sponsored by the Conservation Board attracted a steady stream of folks carrying broken fans, vacuums, computers, hot plates, lamps and more. Yes, some people still know how to fix stuff. Visitors were engaged and amazed as they sat and watched the “fixers” at various ta…

I’ve been to a lot of pancake breakfasts at Pound Ridge Elementary School over the years and a bunch of Egg Scrambles, too, but this year takes the pancake for family participation. What impressed me wasn’t just the number of families that chose to make it a double event day last Saturday mo…

Just when I thought I couldn’t cheer any harder for Pound Ridge, here I go again. Everybody was so fired up about our community at the Made In New York event in town last Sunday sponsored by the Pound Ridge Business Association. It was gratifying to meet many “Talk of the Town” readers, youn…

The dearth is over. Ah, the glory to witness spring. It only took a couple warm days along with increased daylight to propel so many sprouts to burst through the soil surface. Yet, it took me a half century of spring seasons to realize that many of what I thought were leaf buds on the tips o…

• Updated

I’ve written for this newspaper for over three decades, but, honestly, I really didn’t appreciate the nuts and bolts of how it operates nor, more importantly, its real value until I heard our editor, Ed Baum, interviewed Tuesday at the Bedford Playhouse. He was part of the “LifeChangers” ser…

I was with a group of high school friends last weekend — yes, you heard that right. I’m still in touch with them 50 years later. You could say we know each other darn well after going through those tumultuous years together; we continue to have some pretty hardy laughs. Anyway, some of them …

Go figure. Just when the pandemic world is opening up with opportunities, the world is on the brink of total craziness. I saw a guy in Starbucks last week standing proudly, wearing a shirt that said “Ukraine.” No matter what happens, this is a moment to savor the often-undervalued gems of br…

As the world opens up, it feels seamless being seasonally coordinated with more daylight, more signs of growth and the promise of spring. Along with new waves of life that are rolling into our routines, I’m trying to actualize new life right next to my desk where I am writing this. The first…

• Updated

Spoiler alert: Valentine’s Day was not invented by greeting card companies. However, lots of businesses certainly do benefit from the commercialization of the day. Many of us define it by the cards, chocolates and flowers that are available everywhere. Historically, that’s a long way from th…

This computer-centered life has serious limitations for the free-flow of human feelings, but there seems like there’s a crack in the life-freeze of COVID-19. After depending on one screen or another to keep connections going for some time now, I went to see a musical theater performance by k…

It looks like this cold snap will continue for a while, though green thumbs are already pointing towards spring. The group from Healthy Yards that stood outside the Bedford Hills train station yesterday in below-freezing weather for two hours must have been warmed by their passion and devoti…

• Updated

My crazy, current interest is watching football, mostly for the amazing athleticism and passion of the players. To be clear, I’m just a sporadic sports fan drawn into the milieu of superstars like Michael Jordan and Tom Brady. Lately I’ve been sitting in front of the television more than I c…

Do you ever feel like you’re being too complicit in what the calendar says we should be doing? After another round of holiday should-do’s and must-do’s, I’m once again admitting that the sense of closure with the New Year holiday is kind of nice. It’s more momentous than the Hallmark holiday…

• Updated

Seed catalogs are already arriving in the mail, but it’s a challenge for me to focus on that with all the holiday fervor and cold temps. Luckily, I saved a lot of seeds this year, so I’ve got some inventory, but if you’re thinking about ordering seeds, be aware that with the increased intere…

Holiday time each year means we can easily resort to saying “after the holidays” in response to almost any request. Besides the convenient delay tactic, what I like most of all about this time of year is the focus on food, though the quantity, acceptance and encouragement to over-indulge is …

Over the past three decades writing for this newspaper, when Thanksgiving approaches, I’ve sometimes written about what folks said they are thankful for. Honestly, it’s been an ongoing challenge to dig up anything beyond “thankful for friends and family.” I have finally concluded that that’…

• Updated

As a child, when winter returned each year, visions of sugarplums began dancing in my head. Growing up, a highlight of my holiday season was attending a local performance of “The Nutcracker.” It is a magical ballet, one that is accessible to children and adults alike, with a recognizable sco…

City friends always ask me to tell them what weekend to drive “upstate,” as they call anything north of the Bronx, to view the trees in their full fall glory. The pressure to get the timing right is real. Tell them to come too early, and the trees will be bland. Too late, and they will be ba…

• Updated

The smells and sounds of leaves crackling underfoot are what remind me most about going out on Halloween evenings, especially regarding the “trick” part as a kid, when making noise was not part of our tricky plan. As a parent, I remember coming home after trick-or-treating with the kids and …

The Repair Café sponsored by the Conservation Board last weekend at Conant Hall was more than a recycling and repairing event for older appliances. It told a story — namely, that the whole fix-it mentality has been replaced by easy access to just ordering something new, especially when we ca…

The ebb and flow of cool and warm makes this time of year a bit challenging for me as I hang on to the last vestiges of summer while always having an extra sweater or jacket in tow. In the garden, there’s that same seasonal tug as some of the plants are done for the season, and still others …

The buzz in our community continues after last weekend’s Harvest Festival sponsored by the Pound Ridge Partnership, co-chaired by Kevin Long and Melinda Velez, and made possible by so many volunteers and sponsors. I still can’t comprehend how Dawn Decker organizes all those kids’ area activi…

Seventy-five degrees in October is so different than 75 degrees in September. The sun/shade differential increases, and the smells and sounds are distinctively autumnal. There’s more of a stillness around. Can you feel it? With the beginning of fall, we appreciate the late blooms as many pla…

It’s so easy to establish connections with strangers when you work side by side on a common task. Such was the case at the recent Eco-Chic event co-sponsored by the Pound Ridge Partnership and Kahlo Collective. As a volunteer, I met so many folks I didn’t know, and not just from Pound Ridge.…

Our traditionally quiet town during the summer was not as quiet this year, maybe because folks wanted to get out after more than a year that seems to have just disappeared from memory. At the last Food Truck Friday of the season, people were asking for just one more, but that won’t happen. D…

The Labor Day Artisan and Vintage Flea, held in Scotts Corners, featured more than 40 vendors, live music, and, of course, food trucks. Everyone I spoke to was abuzz with compliments on the improvement in vendor quality over past years, which made meandering down the avenue a very pleasant w…

• Updated

At this writing, the weather forecast looks promising for the Labor Day Artisan and Vintage Flea Market sponsored by the Pound Ridge Business Association with 40 vendors here in town. The event attracts folks from neighboring counties and beyond, and that’s a good thing for Pound Ridge, as i…

As usual, I’m looking forward to Food Truck Friday tonight, from 5 to 9 p.m., presented by the Pound Ridge Partnership. What I like most about FTF is that it’s a low-key, free event that’s not commercialized, and has maintained its stature as basically a community picnic with lots of smiles.…

I scream, you scream, we all scream for …  ice cream! Indeed, as we head into the final stretch of summer, the signage hanging in the walkway between Westchester Avenue and the back parking lot announcing the treat seems almost cruel. Rumors are swirling like a twist of soft serve that the f…

• Updated

Most Augusts are empty around here, but it seems a little different this year, as if this is where folks are vacationing. For me, the tip-off that new people are in town is when I see a lot of strangers in The Market, often dressed a bit more city-like and shopping as if they don’t already k…

• Updated

Rain doesn’t always drown out the fun. Last week’s Food Truck Friday presented by the Pound Ridge Partnership had a sizable attendance beginning right at 5 p.m. on what began as a blue-sky afternoon with zero chance of precipitation. Suddenly, around 7:30 p.m., the skies opened up and there …