The local word of the last few weeks seems to be “bear.” Sightings have become more numerous, and you can’t avoid the feeling that at least two pairs of ursine eyes are peering at you and your birdfeeders from behind the stone walls and what’s left of the understory of surrounding woods. Res…

• Updated

Things are gradually reopening here in northern Westchester County. My youngest son, who has had his hair growing like a feral child since late February, can finally return to a civilized look. Of course, he has not done it yet, but there is always hope. My college-age son and even my lovely…

• Updated

On these warmer, almost summer evenings, when the windows and doors are open, it is a comforting sound to hear the bells of the South Salem Presbyterian Church ring out at 7 p.m. every night. We know that not all is well with our world, but that there are reasons to care that collectively we…

• Updated

The John Jay High School Class of 2020 got their caps and gowns delivered last Friday in a unique way. Eighteen mini-busses fanned out across the Katonah-Lewisboro School District driven by our dedicated bus drivers and presented by teachers, staff, administrators and school board members. I…

• Updated

It’s come around again, the birthday of a dear friend, Lois Elizabeth Reynolds of Cross River. This time Lois is preparing to add candle number 101 to her cake! She was born more than a century ago on May 31, 1919, in the front room of the Reynolds Homestead on Route 35 (Old Post Road), the …

• Updated

Lewisboro resident Lois Reynolds is turning 101 years old on Sunday, May 31. Lois was born, raised, and spent most of her life living in Cross River. To help make her day extra special, the Lewisboro Parks and Recreation Department is working with Lewisboro Town Historian (and my co-columnis…

• Updated

The most whimsical ephemeral of early spring is Dutchman’s breeches, a delightful flower inhabiting loamy soils in either wooded areas, open lands or rocky slopes. Maybe it’s one of the first flowers a child learns because of its wonderful flowers resembling a Dutchman’s pantaloons hanging u…

• Updated

At 7 p.m. each night around town bells are ringing. Different neighborhoods have started up the tribute for our frontline health care workers who are fighting the COVID-19 pandemic every day. It originally started in New York City because 7 p.m. is when the shift change happens at hospitals.…

• Updated

The big news in downtown South Salem is the most welcome reopening of Lily’s Deli and Market. In a surprise announcement late last week via the neighborhood news groups, Lily wrote, “Good morning all. Hope you and your family are doing well and are in good health. We would like anyone to kno…

• Updated

Some bad news and some good news. A high school friend of mine lost her mother this past Saturday to COVID-19. It’s hard to believe Mrs. D is gone. Most of how I will remember her is making sure our crowd in high school, college, and post-graduation visits was never hungry when we were near …

• Updated

As I write this it is a sunny spring day; it is hard to imagine the turmoil that surrounds us. As I glanced out the window recently, I watched as a couple walking their dog stopped along our front yard. Great, I thought, they are walking facing traffic as they should, they have bagged the do…

• Updated

If you are in need of any help during this unprecedented time of isolation, please reach out. There are resources available from the Town of Lewisboro, Westchester County, and New York State. In addition, there are resources available from not-for-profits such as the Community Center of Nort…

• Updated

In this time of so many unknowns, we look for the familiar. For the most part, Mother Nature is supplying a sense of the usual and expected: the roads bedecked in soon-to-be “crowds of daffodils” and cheery forsythia cascades, and lawns greening up. “It’s all good,” as the late Pastor Dr. Ch…

• Updated

One of my favorite exchanges in the show “30 Rock” was when an exhausted Liz Lemon says to Jack Donaghy, “What a week!” and Jack responds “Lemon, it’s Wednesday.” That’s about how I feel about this year. Updated dialogue reads: Lemon: “What a year!” Donaghy: “Lemon, it’s March.” There’s a lo…

• Updated

It’s difficult to write a column about upcoming events when there aren’t any upcoming events in the near future, so we will try to fill in with a look back at some of the historic times of troubling situations as our town toiled through the centuries.

• Updated

Happy Friday the 13th. And happy anniversary to my lovely wife. It’s been a crazy week in the world. Temperatures are up, stocks are down, sports are being played without fans, events are getting cancelled left and right, and yet the world keeps on spinning around. Stay well everyone and ple…

• Updated

Spring is almost upon us and to celebrate that announcement, I saw my first chipmunk as I was writing this column. But more welcome than that little rascal are the snowdrops and snow crocus that have been sprinkling the lawns, and the purplish skunk cabbage spathes that are emerging from the…